History of the riding:
The federal election riding of Glengarry-Prescott-Russell was created by a readjustment of the electoral map of Ontario (S.C. 1970, c.56), when the 27th Canadian parliament was dissolute.
Earlier in its history, the riding was divided into four distinct ridings: Prescott-Russell, Glengarry, Stormont and Ottawa East.
From 1952 to 1970, the riding was much smaller, and was called Glengarry-Prescott. It comprised the counties of Glengarry, Prescott and part of Russell County, which included the townships of Cambridge, Clarence and Russell.
In 1970, after the adjustment of the electoral map, the riding was enlarged. It still comprised Glengarry and Prescott Counties, but now included all of Russell County, as well. The Townships of Cambridge and Clarence remained part of the riding, with the addition of Rockland and the United Counties of Stormont, Dundas and Glengarry, as well as the Township of North Glengarry. It is interesting to note that the riding’s boundaries start east of Regional Road 174 and follow Trim Road until Wall Road. They pass by Mer Bleu, Navan Road, Boundary Road and Burton Road, which is part of the City of Ottawa. So the riding counts a number of communities in its limits, including Cumberland, Navan, Vars, Clarence-Rockland, Russell, Embrun, Casselman, Alfred, Plantagenet, St.-Isidore, Fournier and Hawkesbury, to name a few.
Since its creation, a Liberal has often held the riding. From 1953 to 1957, Raymond Bruneau held it; from 1962 to 1972, it was Viateur Éthier; from 1972 to 1984, it was Denis Éthier; and from 1984 to 2006, it was held by Don Boudria. All in all, Liberals have served Glengarry-Prescott-Russell for 48 years. Let’s continue this great tradition!
– Covers over 3,049 km of territory on the west side of the Ottawa River;
– Vast agricultural land;
– Tourism region during the summertime;
– Significant Franco-Ontarian population;
– Mixed urban and rural population with over 104,309 residents;
– 238 polling stations.
The Riding’s Chart: